Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Happiness Project

When writer's block strikes one way to come back is to rely on the words of others for inspiration.


By the power of the universe and Christmas luck I received a desk calendar called "The Happiness Project" from our work gift exchange.  (You know the type, take a gift, steal a gift usually wind up with your own gift)  Well this year Santa found the right recipient! 


THE HAPPINESS PROJECT is the memoir of the year author Gretchen RubiI spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific studies, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier – happily, it was a #1 New York Times bestseller.


Well the desk calendar has not disappointed.  Since 2012 has come in with me searching for words, I'm going to blog through the first exercise and maybe make you smile along the way.


Create your own 12 commandments
"As you think about your happiness project identify the overarching principles that you want to guide your actions"

  • Be Kaleena:  This will mean to accept the things I like and also accept the things I dislike.  I own the fact that I love and will always find a way to buy a pair of shoes no matter the price.  I realize that I will never diet and I will never enjoy bowling as often as I am asked to go.
  • Let it go: I'm letting go of the fact that the house is not always clean and everyone on this planet will not like me.
  • Act the way I want to feel: I am energetic and will act accordingly, therefore I will be energetic.
  • Do it now: Luckily I cut my procrastination time in half in 2011 so this should only be half as difficult as it sounds.
  • Be polite and be fair: What good will acting out of line do?
  • Enjoy the process: BE PATIENT
  • Spend out: Enjoy every day and every hour.  Even if you are lying on the couch, enjoy the moment.
  • Identify the problem: I will not spend an entire day full of anxiety, I will focus on correcting the cause.
  • Lighten up: Will I worry about this next week?
  • Do for others: Continue to make myself happy by providing for others. 
  • Take risks: I've never been a risk taker, I'm going to try to be.
  • There is only love. 

So today I spent the day thinking about the little things I do everyday that make me feel extra special and I am going to encourage you if you are reading this to think about what you do in the same regard.  If you can't think of something, start by finding something very ordinary that makes you smile.

  • I drink out of a very cute coffee cup
  • I look at old pictures on Facebook or on my phone
  • I type loudly (not that loud)
  • I smile at nothing
  • I spray perfume in the middle of the afternoon
  • I notice when my heart skips a beat and I let myself feel fabulous.
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about," - Charles Kingsley


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

Live Happy | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012