Tuesday, August 7, 2012

30 by 30

Just as much as any scatter-brained, busy, semi-organized, don't want to miss a thing twenty-something girl, my life is ruled by lists.  I realized today that even my job is a series of unorganized lists cycling through the same tasks year-after-year and semester-after-semester.  I plan, I do, I cross off.  Admittedly my best work is done at the last minute, but at least I'm organized in the process.

Last winter I came across a list written by Pamela Redmond Satran in 1997.  "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30," now a marvelous book is out expanding on the original list with insight from other women's experiences including Maya Angelou, Taylor Swift and Katie Couric.  The list inspired me to blog again - and stay on track because I have a list after all.  The timing is just about perfect since I will be turning 30 in less than 30 weeks.  I might skip around the list a bit but I'll hit them all eventually.  Hopefully I can inspire some conversation about how my readers size up to the items on the list just so I'm well prepared come January!

"Just like we all start out believing we're going one place, only to find ourselves, at those great train stations of life, having arrived at quite another, unimaginably better place." - Pamela Redmond

By 30 you should have...
One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you've come.

Genevieve Field, an editor from Glamour had these words of wisdom for us young lovers and about this first item on the list:

"You can't change your past but you can change your mind about your past"

"Every relationship we have in our lives, whether it lasts five hours with a stranger on a plane of fifty years with our soulmate, is meant to teach us something."

At first read, I thought "whoa way too deep for a first item on the list, and a first blog back."  But after a second thought, not really.  Every relationship I've had up to this point has taught me something about who I am, what I want or how to treat people.  

Do I have a boyfriend I can imagine going back to, yes and one who reminds me of how far I've come, absolutely.  

I have friends I've said goodbye to, and acquaintances who inspired me more in twenty minutes than anyone could in ten years.  I get caught up in myself sometimes worrying about what I have to do next or expectations I have set for myself, but honestly the answers to where we are meant to be or what we should be doing are in our relationships with others.  How boring would my heart be had it not been broken or how shallow if I had not forgiven and let go.  My life would be black and white without the dramatics of my friendships and relationships!

What I've learned about myself through my relationships up to this point:  I am a passionate, messy, over energized, over-committed woman whose favorite shape is bubbles and color is glitter, and I am totally happy with it.

Next item on the list (I have a little catching up to do since my birthday is in 22 weeks)... 

By 30, you should have...
A set of screwdrivers - check and I use them all the time
A cordless drill - check, not as skilled with this tool
A black lace bra - check!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

 

Live Happy | Template By Rockaboo Designs | 2012